Saturday 14 October 2017

Rest Day No. 4 : Burning Bridges & Values


Rest Day No. 4 - Saturday

I'm spending it in Ponferrada, best known for its 12th century Knights Templar castle:


It's been an excellent Week 4; 172 kilometres walked.

Wonderful architecture, such as the Gaudi-designed Bishop's Palace in Astorga:



And stunning views up in the Montes de Leon:




Along the Way there's the opportunity to speak with Pilgrims from many countries in the world: from Australia to the USA.

Of course, it is happenstance whom you meet. George Michael was right:



Sometimes it is little more than Hola & Buen Camino.
How I wish my Conversational Spanish really was Conversational!


But where there is a language in common  friendships can be very quickly formed:


Conversations always start with:
Where are you from?
Did you start at St Jean de Pied de Port?
Are you going to Santiago? Or on to Finisterre?

And:
Why are you Walking the Camino?
Often the initial idea came from a friend recommending The Way:



Usually the Pilgrim is at a Crossroads:
They've just left Grad School
They've recently retired
They're in the middle of a Life Event

Which direction to travel next?
And at what pace?

Conversation topics are wide.

It is not easy to find a Trump supporter on the Camino.
An erudite & wise lady from Seattle told me she'd heard the President has Alzheimers!

No one has a clue why the UK voted for Brexit; not even after I've "explained" !

Lots of people have an interest in music.
And plenty of them now know my Alltime Favourite song:


Boys of Summer

Occasionally talk will turn to business: Globalisation, Technology & widening Inequality.

I had a fascinating discussion with an Entrepreneur from Tallahhassee, including on Private Equity Exit Cash Multiples: #Don'tAsk !

(If they read this: the Answer is 10 times & take the Trip to Australia)

The best part of 20 kilometres was spent chatting with Yana from the Ukraine.
Yana's English is excellent. A keen interest in grammar; she knows her Apostrophe Ss from her S Apostrophes!

We talked of dealing with Life when things go wrong, really wrong.

Of Burning Bridges.
I've been involved in a few of these.
May even have caused a couple!

It is all too tempting to simply find someone to blame; whether they are guilty or not.

It is always much more useful to follow Don's advice:




And we talked of Values.

How many Awaydays have I spent discussing Values?
#TooMany

If you set yourself the task of only having ones that begin with P ... you'll easily cover most of the ground:

Passionate
People
Professional
Punctual

But always remember what The King said about Values:





Two weeks left on the Camino ...
Plenty of rambling still to do!!


#Buen Camino, Pilgrim Piper

---

Yana

If you read this ...

You will eat properly, won't you?

You promised me you would !
















1 comment:

  1. Dear Ric,
    Its Hattie here. Remember I told you I had packed my rucksack ready to go to Spain.... well, when Tara told me you were STILL walking, I had to go and lie down in my bed. I like a walk in the woods or by the ocean but I think my legs might have been a bit too short for the Camino. Hope you are having fun and meeting some interesting pilgrims on your journey. You might even find a stray dog who wants to fall in step with you... You don't have to worry about not speaking Spanish. Just give him a pat and a kindly word... I had better go and find a bone or a slipper to chew. Have fun out there Pilgrim Ric. Love Hattie xx

    ReplyDelete